Prince of Peace Lutheran Church was started as a mission church in the 1950’s. The seven-acre site was purchased in 1956 by the Central District of the Lutheran Church-Missouri Synod. Pastor Kuhlman was called by the Central District to serve as missionary to the new mission in May, 1959 and together with volunteers from neighboring LCMS churches, canvassing the community. The first worship service was held at Christ Dunberger Post on September 20, 1959 with 116 in attendance. In November the name of the church was chosen: Prince of Peace. On June 13, 1960, at the Central District Convention, Synod’s Constitution was signed and Prince of Peace was received into the membership of the Lutheran Church - Missouri Synod and the Central District.
On June 16, 1961, groundbreaking took place at Pickle and Lallendorf for the first unit, the “A-frame” multipurpose facility, which was dedicated and put into use on December 10, 1961. The master plan at that time included two more buildings: an educational unit, and a sanctuary. On January 12, 1975, the dedication of the second unit took place, which included the fellowship hall, Sunday School rooms, and kitchen. In April, 1985, the bell tower was erected.
In 1989, a preschool was started under the ministry of Pastor Don Weiss, as an outreach to the families of the Oregon community, and continues to serve faithfully, teaching the children about Jesus and equipping the children with skills needed for entrance into Kindergarten.
In September, 2005 a major renovation and additions to the facility were completed. The additions included new portico, church entrance, and storage room; renovation included the narthex, offices, library, replacement of windows and doors of the educational wing, and all new heating/air conditioning throughout the facility. Rededication took place on Sunday, September 25, 2005, and recognition of the 45th anniversary of the congregation was observed.
On April 27, 2008, a steeple and cross on the roof of the church, and cross at the portico were dedicated, as a witness to the proclamation of our Savior, Jesus Christ.
The Golden Anniversary of Prince of Peace was celebrated in 2010, featuring a year-long celebration of concerts, worship services, guest speakers, and special events.
In 2015, Prince of Peace secured the services of The Church Doctor consultation ministries to provide a consultation for evaluating our present situation and assist in planning for the future growth of the congregation. This included proposals for our ministries, staffing and building potential.
Through the years, several Pastors have led the congregation. These included: Pastor Kenneth Kuhlman (1959-1963), Pastor Edgar Luecke (1964-1971), Pastor David Mueller (1971-1976), Pastor Norbert Folwaczny (1977-1978), Pastor Donald Weiss (1979-2001), Pastor Gerald Hartke (2003-2017), Pastor John Genszler (2017-present).
We currently are engaged in a visioning process - seeking the Lord's plan to continue Sharing Jesus - Living His Love through Discipleship at Home and in Community!